Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Recent Negative Press

Many of you probably caught clips on the news about the recent gay rights demonstration that took place here at Liberty. For those of you who haven't seen anything about it, let me fill you in. On March 10th the gay rights group "soulforce" wanted to come demonstrate on Liberty's campus. We have allowed them to come sit in on our chapel services and other various things in the past. Well soulforce was departing Lynchburg to travel accross the country to various private universities, and military academies to demonstrate for gay rights. Soulforce was told to not come onto Liberty's campus causing distraction. People seem to have this misconception about Liberty. It seems to be the common understanding that we hate all gay people, and we sit in class rooms learning how to better hate them. However, that statement is no where near the truth. We do not hate gay people, but we do not believe that homosexuality is a morally ethical lifestyle. We do not discriminate against any people. I can speak from personal experience on this issue. I had a suite mate for two years who is a professed homosexual. We did not discriminate against him for this. We tried to do our best to show him the love of God, and how we should live a life seperated from sin. We all have our sin struggles, and for many people of the world homosexuality is a big struggle. We received a lot of bad press over what happened a couple weeks ago when soulforce came to Liberty. The organization was told that they could demonstrate as much as they pleased outside the front gate to Liberty's campus, but that they could not enter campus. There is nothing wrong with denying access to the campus. This is a private university, and we have the right to deny anyone access to our facilities. Soulforce was clearly coming to Liberty to exploit the fact that we do not think that their lifestyle is morally or ethically correct. One spokesman for the group stated "We have a right to be here, because this school teaches that being gay is being sick and sinful." The fact that we believe that homosexuality is a sin in no way gives them justification for demonstrating on our campus. We would be more than happy to sit down to discuss the issue of homosexuality and our standpoint, but in a structured and appropriate venue. Of the 60 or so people demostrating 20 of them crossed onto Liberty's campus. They were immediately arrested for trespassing. They claimed that they just wanted the opportunity to come onto campus to talk to students. Well students went off of campus to talk to them during the demonstration. We are not afraid to discuss the issue with them, but clearly they had no intention of this by their demonstration. They were using Liberty as a way to push their agenda, and as a way to get media attention. I don't believe that Liberty was in the wrong for denying them access to our campus, nor do I believe that they were wrong in arresting those who came onto the campus. I, in no way, hate gay people, nor do I discriminate against them. I believe that we are all sinners, and none of us deserve the grace of God. I hope that you will take the time to really investigate a situation, and what you hear. Look at an issue from both sides, and pay attention to true intention.

8 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, March 30, 2006, Blogger Daniel Rudd said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:02 PM, March 30, 2006, Blogger Daniel Rudd said...

Eric,
Thanks for your post.

I've heard Liberty's *biblical* concerns about homosexuality, but I've not heard the *ethical* reasons against it.

Maybe you could expound on this in your next post.

I agree with you that private institutions have a right to allow or deny access to anyone.

However, I'm not certain that denying access to contrary views is compatable with the inherant meaning of "University."

This may be why people have a problem with Liberty arresting protestors.

 
At 7:35 PM, March 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel Rudd suggests that denying access to contrary views is somehow not compatible with the inherent meaning of "University". That may be, but universities have been involved in denying contrary views for years if those contrary views came from the left side of the spectrum. Time after times, conservative students have had to fight to be heard when liberal students and faculty have completely dominated the stage. So more power to Liberty.

 
At 10:17 PM, March 30, 2006, Blogger Daniel Rudd said...

John, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

It sounds like you agree that University should be a free exchange of ideas--
that students should learn to grapple with a broad spectrum of thoughts and develop discernment.

Are you suggesting that witholding this process from students (a bad thing), will balance out previous incidents when a different perspetive was withheld?

Eric, I failed to mention, that I'm glad you are making an effort to love *all* people.

I think you should keep working on articulating that every way you can.

Unfortunately, you have a lot of ground to cover when it comes to Liberty's reputation. Mostly because of Jerry Fallwell's frequent and ill-considered public remarks.

 
At 10:35 PM, March 30, 2006, Blogger Eric said...

Daniel,

Thanks for the remarks. It is good to discuss different issues like this. I do attempt to always keep a loving outlook towards all people. I have learned many things from many different kinds of people. Every kind of person has many things to offer to all of us.

As far as Liberty's reputation because of comments made by Jerry Falwell. I do agree that he has made some comments that were not articulated very well, and had bad timing. I don't agree with 100% of what Jerry Falwell has to say, but I do believe that he has done a lot of great things with his life. He has dedicated his life to doing God's work. As a result of what he started thousands of people are getting a good solid christian education. Liberty also has a great focus on the whole world. Missions is a large part of what Liberty is. Jerry Falwell get's his fair share of a negative reputation, but God has used him to do a lot of good in the world. He is now in his 70's, and even though I don't agree with everything he says, I do have respect for the man for what he has done.

 
At 10:16 AM, April 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,
Your post brought back a lot of memories of my days at LU. I spent a year in dorm 2, and I'll never forget the learning experience.

I will forever remember Lynchburg as the season that made my soul come alive in Christ. For those memories, I am deeply grateful. I loved Liberty, even with all her flaws:
I remember the press getting a hold of a story that developed while I was there. I watched as it gathered momentum:
- A guest speaker spoke in chapel about the sanctity of human life. The message invoked alot of emotion from the students in attendance. This guest speaker organized a rally the next morning at the local public high school, for LU students to march the sidewalks/campus of the school. The next morning a couple-hundred students met him and together they walked the campus, with signs and whistles and bullhorns. The message was that "Abortion is Murder" (or something like that). Several students actually got arrested because they had the audacity to walk INSIDE the school and talk to students (apparently the high schoolers were all considering having abortions?)

The good memories of falling in love with Jesus, are also tainted with images of public demonstrations, bullhorns, whistles, and tellytubbies.

I'll never understand the marching orders, of conquests or crusades.

I have a lot to learn about the love of Jesus, and the call to follow Him.

- Jerry DePoy Jr.

 
At 7:57 PM, April 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eric,
I wanted to say, "Good job." You clearly have no malice toward those struggling with this lifestyle. There is a huge difference between an individual's confusion about gender or his temptation to engage in sodomy
and an activist movement with a political agenda.
Liberty has been consistent on this issue (and your home church would agree with you on this point). There may be a day when "public policy" prevents private religious schools and churches to espouse matters clearly addressed in scripture, no matter how genuinely they model the love of Christ toward those who take issue with them, but that day is not here yet.
I don't recall an encounter between Jesus and a "known" homosexual, but had such an event been recorded, I suspect his attitude would be like the kindness he showed the prostitute when he said "Go and sin no more." She did not turn on him and say, "Who are you to call my promiscuity sin? This is who I am, I don't know why, but I've been this way since I became sexually active. Who are you to say it's wrong and that I need to change. I've tried the one-man gig, I can't do it. Someday there will be studies that show my lifestyle is normal, boy will you feel stupid then. There will even be governments who legalize it. So save your advice, Rabbi."
She didn't say that of course, and it would be a stretch to extend this weak comparison to your post... but my point is simply this: Christ's attitude toward individuals seeking his direction is very different that what he might expect of an Christian institution intruded upon by a busload of heavily-funded activists with political/social agenda who wish only to use that institution as backdrops for publicity.
If on the other hand, we are saying that homosexuality is not denounced in scripture, that it is a lifestyle good for the basic institutions of life,etc.... then I guess we need to make room for the transgenders and poligamists who are joining the "us,too" bandwagon. Anyone calling for the Church to turn a blind eye to this sin, must apply that graciousness to all the groups jumping on the bandwagon.
There is a distinction between how the church deals with individuals seeking help from their perspective and activist demanding they have no right to hold that perspective.
I agree that J.Falwell has put his foot in his mouth more than once, but any outspoken person--young or old--is bound to do the same the more they speak or write. I'm sorry I don't have your email address. This note is to you alone (hence the "anonymity"). Thanks for checking in at my blog now and then. Have a great end to your semester.

 
At 8:58 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger Eric said...

Hey Everyone! Thanks for all the comments you've made regarding this post! I have enjoyed reading what you have had to say, and learning from you. In the future, if you rather email me your comments you can do so by sending an email to ericchandler442@hotmail.com Sorry I have been unable to put up any more posts, but I have been very busy with all the papers and exams that come with the end of a semester. I will hopefully get a chance to post again soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home